Posted on Thursday, March 6, 2014
When: June 14, 2014 – June 14, 2014 from 9:00am – 3:00pm
Headquarters: Oneida County Courthouse
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014
Early spring can bring the whole range of weather to Wisconsin, from beautiful sunny days to snowstorms. Luckily, the Rhinelander Area offers some fun indoor activities.
Head to Hodag Lanes and bowl a few frames. You’ll find 20 synthetic lanes as well as the onsite Hideout Steakhouse, which offers big-screen TVs, a pool table, darts and more.
Check out the Oneida County Courthouse. This historic building includes a breathtaking Tiffany glass dome. Or, take a trip through the galaxy at the Kovac Planetarium.
The Rhinelander Area is the economic hub for much of the Northwoods of Wisconsin. You’ll find lots of interesting shops and restaurants as well as a movie theater showing first-run films.
Within a short drive of Rhinelander, you’ll also find a long list of other fun things to see and do, including a children’s museum, a playhouse, wineries and more.
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2014
How do we love thee in winter, Hodag Country? Let us count (at least a few of) the ways.
Fun events. Even though this year’s HoDrags on Ice has been cancelled, we still have plenty of fun things to do all winter long. There were plenty of anglers around for the DNR’s Free Ice Fishing Weekend in January, and upcoming don’t-miss events include the Lions Club Fisheree & Winter Carnival and the annual Taste of Chocolate this weekend and the Community Music Festival on Feb. 16. Find more events here.
Recreation (with or without motors). Whether your preferred winter recreation happens on skis, snowshoes or on the seat of a snowmobile, you’ll find nearly endless options in the Rhinelander area. Explore several of the cross-country ski and snowshoe trails near Rhinelander, including the Almon Park Trail, the Northwoods Ski Trail or the CAVOC Trails. Snowmobilers can also find more than 1,000 miles of trails in Rhinelander and the surrounding area. Learn more about snowmobiling here.
Food, food, food. We already mentioned the annual Taste of Chocolate, but in case you don’t want to just eat sweets (though we wouldn’t blame you if you did), you can pick from any of the Rhinelander area’s great dining establishments, from supper clubs to bars and everything in between.
Affordable lodging packages. Headed up to Oneida County for a snowmobiling trip? Or have a romantic Northwoods getaway planned for Valentine’s Day? Be sure to check out our list of lodging packages.
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014
This winter has been fantastic for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the Rhinelander area. Good snowfall and consistently cold temperatures have combined to create trail-trekking conditions that really can’t be beat.
The Rhinelander Area boasts an abundance of winter trails. There are at least nine trails within a 20-minute drive of Rhinelander. And, the Rhinelander Area’s many shops, restaurants and lodging options makes it the ideal hub for all your winter silent sports adventures.
Right now might be the very best time in years to be out on the trails. Make plans today to explore the trails in the Rhinelander Area.
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2014
Winter is in full swing in Rhinelander, and we’ve got some great events lined up in the coming weeks. Here are a few that you should put on your calendar for next month:
- Saturday, Feb. 8-Sunday, Feb. 9: Rhinelander Lions Club Fisheree & Winter Carnival. Come to Hodag Park on Boom Lake for a weekend of fun events, including the annual ice fishing tournament (7am-3pm Saturday and Sunday), the Hodag Broomball Tournament (Saturday), the Hodag Snow Dash snowshoe race (Sunday) and more!
- Sunday, Feb. 16: Community Music Festival. Visit Nicolet College to hear performances from five Northwoods music groups—the Rhinelander Area Community Band, the Nicolet Male Chorus, the Nicolet Choraliers, Hymns and Hyrs and the Lakeland Barbershoppers. Admission is free. More information can be found here.
- Saturday, Feb. 22: HoDrags on Ice. The second annual ice drag racing competition runs from noon to 4pm on Lake Thompson. Race classes include cars, trucks and outlaw vehicles. Call the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce at 715-365-7464 for more information.
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2013
- Monday, Dec. 9: Scott D., De Pere, WI (Hodag goody bag)
- Tuesday, Dec. 10: Hannah D., Milwaukee, WI, and Karolyn J., Milwaukee, WI (Men’s and women’s golf merchandise from Northwood Golf Club)
- Wednesday, Dec. 11: Deb G., Woodbury, MN ($50 prepaid Visa card)
- Thursday, Dec. 12: Kerry K., Kaukauna, WI (One-night stay at America’s Best Value Inn)
- Friday, Dec. 13 (grand prize): Missy N., Walworth, WI (Two tickets for Wisconsin River Cruises, one-night stay at America’s Best Value Inn)
Thank you to everybody who entered, and thank you to the local businesses for the great prize packages!
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2013
When: May 2, 2014 – May 5, 2014 from 5:00pm – 12:00pm
Headquarters: Rhinelander Area
Join us for the 2nd Annual Rhinelander Girlfriends Getaway May 2 – 4, 2014. This weekend promises to be full of fun, learning and great times! We will begin the weekend Friday at the Hext Theatre on Brown Street in Rhinelander for a private comedy show, Saturday will be full of workshops that peak your interest, shopping and dining and we’ll end the evening with a wine tasting. Plus on Sunday we’ll make sure you get a great meal before heading home. Rhinelander is the perfect community for a girls weekend and we’ll help keep you busy!
For questions call the Chamber at 715-365-7464.
Posted on Monday, December 2, 2013
The next time you’re in Rhinelander, go out and hear some music! During the weekend, there’s generally a live band playing somewhere in town. Bucketheads Sports Bar and Grill, 46 North Brown Street, features live music every Friday. The venerable Northwestern Lounge and Bar on 119 South Brown Street has an open mic every Thursday. The Elbo Room, 17 North Brown Street, hosts shows in their big ballroom (Bret Michaels will be performing there on December 17). And at Nicolet College, 5364 College Drive, you’ll find live music as well as films, live drama and lectures. Check out a few venues the next time you’re in Rhinelander.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013
The best way to spend a cold winter night in Rhinelander? Lounging at a supper club and enjoying great food, drinks and company. Rhinelander has two amazing supper clubs for you to try this winter.
- Al-Gen Dinner Club. Hang out in their cozy cocktail lounge before dining on some of the best food in the Northwoods. Choose from an extensive wine list and menu that includes top-notch steaks, all-you-can-eat Friday fish fry and nightly specials like shrimp scampi or their famous baby back ribs.
- The Fireside Supper Club. Overlooking Town Line Lake, The Fireside offers a relaxing yet elegant Northwoods atmosphere. Specialties include their Friday fish fry, prime rib, steaks, seafood and more. You’ll be in good company with a friendly staff, so stay for a while and unwind.
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2013
Experienced mountain bikers know that some of the best riding of the year is in late fall. With the leaves off the trees, the forest looks completely different. The trails are generally dry and in very good condition. And, with few other people out on the trail, you’ll feel like you have the forest all to yourself.
The Rhinelander Area boasts some outstanding mountain biking trails. CAVOC Trails is one of the most challenging rides in the area, with lots of twists and turns and climbing. The Mud Lake Trail has both single- and double-track trails waiting to challenge you. The Washburn Lake County Trail presents riders with a whopping 15 miles of forest trails. For a more leisurely ride, try the Newbold Town Trails, which are level and well packed.
During late fall, there might be some hunters out in the woods. As a safety precaution, it’s a good idea to wear some blaze orange or other bright colors so that you’re visible. (Take the same precaution if you’re out hiking or birdwatching in the fall.)
Now, get out there before the cross-country skiing season begins! Find trail maps and plan your own late fall mountain biking trip.